Jake's unfortunate impression of Spain

    When Jake Barnes returns from his trip to Spain and overtips a waiter at Cafe Marinas, he says, "it felt comfortable to be in a country where it is so simple to make people happy. You can never tell when a Spanish waiter will thank you. Everything is on such a clear financial basis in France. It is the simplest country to live in. No one makes things complicated by becoming your friend for any obscure reason. If you want people to like you you only have to spend a little money. I spent a little money and the waiter liked me. He appreciated my valuable qualities. He would be glad to see me back. I would dine there again some time and he would be glad to see me, and would want me at his table. It would be a sincere liking because it would have a sound basis. I was back in France" (237). I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not, but his words really bothered me. Money can buy you a lot more in France than it can in Spain, including people's respect. But claiming that France is a simpler place is a terrible mistake.
    Jake's words hurt me because it felt like the fiasco with Brett and Cohn had ruined the entire trip for him. Jake had never seemed so blissful and carefree than when he was fishing with Bill. He even liked the Basques enough that he didn't make fun of them. He enjoyed the simple pleasures of Spain, drank wine from a skin, sat under a tree, and barely thought about Brett or Cohn at all during his fishing trip. Everyone in Spain seemed happy whether or not you involved money, and people liked each other on another sincere basis: they were having fun together. 
    But Brett, Mike and Cohn ruined this for Jake. In Spain, you do away with masks and the true self is revealed. Mike revealed what he thought about Cohn, Cohn revealed his feelings for Brett, and Brett caught feelings for Romero. Poor Jake had to watch them tear each other apart. Wouldn't it be simpler, easier, if they put their masks back on? In Paris they were able to hide from uncomfortable truths, but the simplistic nature of Spain brought all that out. So I guess Jake missed the familiarity of France, the ability to hide from his problems behind a glass of Pernot. Perhaps he wished to return to the way things once were, because despite underlying tensions, they could still all be friends. I feel sorry for Jake that his friends are all so awful because he deserves better.

Comments

  1. I think the differences between Spain and France is a really interesting topic. I admire the care free friendliness of Spain but I agree that Jake's friends really did ruin it for him. It makes me wonder how he might have seen France without the influence of his friends. Good job examining how Jakes surroundings make him feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The contrast between France and Spain is a really important concept in this book, and you address it very well. I think the quote that you brought up is really interesting too. It really captures jakes attitude towards relationships well. He thinks that anyone who wants to be friends with him is doing it with some personal incentive instead of just genuinely liking him, which is kind of true for like Brett for instance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jes Grew IRL???

First Impression of Jason vs final thoughts

Meursault and Guitar